Is Drain Cleaner Bad for Pipes?
One of the most convenient, inexpensive solutions for clogged pipes is a chemical drain cleaner, easily found at most hardware and home improvement stores. This method of repair may seem to make the most sense for homeowners who are in a hurry to resolve the issue—but the next time you reach underneath your sink for a quick fix for your clogged kitchen or bathroom drain it’s important to understand the potential immediate and long-term effects to your plumbing.
Searching for plumbers in Baltimore? The experts at Pohlman Plumbing can fix that stubborn clog! Contact us today.
THE DANGERS OF CHEMICAL DRAIN CLEANERS IN BALTIMORE
Drain cleaners rely on a caustic chemical solution to dissolve any materials that may be clogging your pipes. While this may be an effective means of clearing your drain, the chemical reaction creates heat and produces gas which can soften PVC pipes and corrode older, metal fittings, caulking, and seals. Additional areas of concern include:
- Environmental impact – Chemical drain cleaners are harmful to the environment as residue left in containers can leach into groundwater and soil.
- Chemical burns – In addition to the risk of inhaling harmful fumes during use there is an inherent risk of severe burns to skin, eyes, and mucous lining. Regardless of how careful you are during the application process water and chemicals may find their way back up the drain through a burst pipe or spray those who are nearby during plunging.
- Cost – Money spent on chemical drain cleaners is better invested in professional plumbing services or natural alternatives. Damage to pipes and septic systems can be costly to repair or replace, and the drain cleaner may not even work to clear the clog.
If you are in need of professional drain cleaning services in Baltimore or any of the surrounding areas, contact Pohlman Plumbing today.
SAFE ALTERNATIVES TO MANAGE YOUR CLOGS IN BALTIMORE
There are a number of safe methods you can use to try to clear the occasional clog, including the following:
Plunging a Clogged Pipe
You may have success dislodging the source of the clog by creating pressure with a plunger using these steps:
- Remove the pop-up drain or stopper
- Cover up any other holes such as the overflow drain or adjoining sink drain with a wet cloth
- Place the cup of the plunger over the drain hole, and run enough water to cover the rubber surface
- Apply pressure and plunge up and down vigorously for approximately 20 seconds
- Pull the plunger straight up and away to create further suction and see if the water drains away
- Repeat if needed
If you’re struggling with a clogged drain, contact Pohlman Plumbing for professional drain cleaning services in Baltimore, Maryland, and the surrounding areas. We provide drain cleaning services in Anne Arundel County, Baltimore County, Howard County, and Prince George’s County.
Unclog Drain DIY in Baltimore
Make your own non-corrosive, natural drain cleaner using common household products such as vinegar and baking soda. Begin by sprinkling one-half cup of baking soda down the drain and adding an equal amount of vinegar. Top this mixture off with several cups of boiling or very hot water, taking care not to splash, and give the solution time to work.
For safe, reliable, efficient clearing of your drains, trust the experts at Pohlman Plumbing. We will quickly locate the source of the clog and work to remove it, using the right tools and methods for a quick, effective resolution.
Give Pohlman Plumbing a call at 443-961-2886 to schedule drain cleaning services throughout Baltimore.
PROFESSIONAL, RELIABLE PLUMBING SERVICES IN THE BALTIMORE AREA
Pohlman Plumbing is a local, family-owned and -operated full-service plumbing and HVAC company serving the Baltimore metro area. Founded in 2008, our professional and friendly customer service plus our top-notch skills have made us one of the most trusted local plumbers in Baltimore.
Call Pohlman Plumbing for all your plumbing needs at 443-961-2886, or contact us online to schedule an appointment. All our work is backed by our Pohlman Promise: fast service at a fair price, done right the first time!